Nursing Home Lawyer Atlanta GA
According to national statistics, there are approximately 3 million people living in nursing homes in this country. It is predicted that 40 percent of adults will end up in a nursing home as they get older. Although there are many good facilities available to take care of our elderly population, the sad truth is that there are far too many nursing homes existing where patients are subjected to abuse and/or neglect.
At Butler | Tobin Law, we will fight for your loved one to ensure that they receive justice for the injuries they have suffered. Each nursing home lawyer at our firm in Atlanta GA has years of legal experience advocating for victims and will use all available resources to get victims and their families the financial compensation they deserve.
The federal law regarding the rights of nursing home patients clearly states that a patient “has the right to be free from verbal, sexual, physical, and mental abuse, corporal punishment, and involuntary seclusion.” The legal definition of abuse and neglect are defined as follows:
· Abuse: The intentional infliction of care deprivation, injury, intimidation, punishment, or unreasonable confinement that causes physical harm, emotional anguish, or pain.
· Neglect: The failure to provide a patient with the care and services which are necessary to keep the patient free of pain or harm, whether the failure is intentional or not. It can also be the failure to react to a situation which results in physical or emotional harm to the patient.
There are many forms of abuse and neglect that patients suffer in nursing homes. This can include forms of assault and battery, sexual assault, unreasonable constraints, use of antipsychotic drugs, seclusion, deprivation of food or water, deprivation of medication, and lack of care for medical issues.
Signs that Your Loved One May Be a Victim of Abuse or Neglect
- Bed sores
- Emotionally upset or agitated
- Head injuries
- Instances of wandering
- Not wanting to speak when staff members are around
- Unexplained injuries in various stages of healing
- Unexplained or unexpected death of the resident
- Unexplained weight loss
- Unsanitary and unclean conditions
- Unusual or sudden changes in behavior, such as biting, fear of being touched, rocking, sucking
If your loved ones suffer injuries that require emergency treatment or hospitalization, that could be a red flag that they are being abused or neglected. Other signs can include a patient who is frequently coming down with illnesses, yet the staff fails to notify their doctor or the family in a timely manner or if residents are injuring other residents. Contact an Atlanta GA nursing home lawyer for more information.
Contact a Dedicated Nursing Home Lawyer Today
If you suspect your family member has suffered mistreatment or abuse at the nursing home they reside at, contact Butler | Tobin Law for help. Our experienced nursing home lawyer Atlanta GA families depend on can discuss the details of your case, as well as what the legal options are that your family may have. In addition to reporting the abuse to the proper municipal and state law enforcement and other agencies, your family may be entitled to file a lawsuit against the nursing home. Call our office today.